So everyone thinks Ohio State is invincible in the Big Ten this year. I was initially in agreement but am now rethinking my original predictions for the 2013 B1G Championship.
- Wisconsin 10-2, 7-1. Suffer losses at Arizona State and at Ohio State. Wisconsin will get better as the season progresses. The showdown in the dessert should be close but the slight learning curve with new Coach Anderson could cause the early stumble. But the absence of Michigan, Michigan State and Nebraska from the schedule and hosting Penn State at the end of the season bodes well for the Badgers.
- Ohio State 10-2, 6-2. Upset at Northwestern and in the Big House. Northwestern is a trap game on the road following a key divisional game against Wisconsin. Michigan will already have three losses when they meet OSU and will pull out all the stops at home. Still likely to go 12-0 and be the favored in Indianapolis.
- Penn State 10-2, 6-2. Losses at Ohio State and at Wisconsin. Home wins over Michigan and Nebraska may be a stretch. 5 losses would not surprise me.
- Indiana 6-6, 3-5. Losses to MO, PSU, MSU, MI, WI & OSU. Play 5 of the top 6 teams in the B1G.
- Purdue 2-10, 1-7. Will be competitive often but only muster Ws against Indiana St. and Illinois. Cincinnati, N. Illinois, Iowa and Indiana are winnable games and Purdue could be 6-6 as easily as 2-10.
- 2-10, 0-9. Wins over S. Illinois and Miami, OH. Wes Lunt will help the Illini in 2014 but Nathan Scheelhaase is still the signal caller for 2013.
- Nebraska 10-2, 6-2. Losses at Michigan and at Penn State. Home field against UCLA and Northwestern could help Nebraska get to 8-0 before traveling to the Big House. If this momentum is enough to get them a W in Ann Arbor they are likely to head to Indianapolis 12-0.
- Northwestern 10-2, 6-2. Losses at Wisconsin and at Nebraska. Home wins against Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State may be a stretch. Northwestern plays 5 of the top 6 teams in the B1G (themselves being the 6th). They could as easily be 7-5 as 10-2.
- Michigan State 9-3, 6-2. Losses at Notre Dame, at Nebraska and at Northwestern. I give Michigan the win over Notre Dame but pick Michigan State to lose to the Irish and beat the Wolverines. Sparty’s defense will be the best in the league but the offense will still be hit and miss.
- Michigan 9-3, 5-3. Losses at Penn State, at Michigan State and at Northwestern. These are all winnable games but Michigan could also easily lose to either Nebraska or Ohio State.
- Iowa 6-6, 2-6. Win all non-conference, at Minnesota and at Purdue. Northern Illinois, @ Iowa State, @ Purdue and @ Minnesota are not givens. This could be a tough season for the Hawk-eyes. They host several teams that are good enough to beat them anyway and then travel to the teams where a home field advantage would be more beneficial.
- Minnesota 4-8, 0-8. Win all non-conference but no conference games. The Gophers host Iowa and travel to Indiana. There is still hope for them to go bowling.