In many basketball tournaments, they play a consolation game where the teams that just lost in the semi-finals play for 3rd place. If we extended that idea to the FBS Football season this year and took the #2 finishers in each of the divisions from those conferences that have a championship game, we would have the following match ups. In a couple instances, we end up with a “re-match” from earlier in the season. While this is OK for the championship game, we will try to avoid it in the consolation game, so I have added replacement games.
SEC — #3 Alabama (11-1) vs #8 South Carolina (10-2)
ACC — #13 Clemson (10-2) vs Virginia Tech (8-4)
B1G — #21 Wisconsin (9-3) vs Iowa (8-4) (rematch) replace with:
- #21 Wisconsin (9-3) vs Nebraska (8-4)
- Iowa (8-4) vs Penn State (7-5)
PAC — #12 Oregon (10-2) vs #18 UCLA (9-3) (rematch) replace with:
- #12 Oregon (10-2) vs USC (9-4)
- #18 UCLA (9-3) vs Oregon St. (6-6) (because UCLA has also played Washington already)
MAC — Buffalo (8-4) vs Ball State (10-2)
USA — ECU (9-3) vs N. Texas (8-4)
MWC — Boise State (8-4) vs San Diego State (7-5) rematch replace with:
- Boise State (8-4) vs San Jose State (6-6)
- San Diego State (7-5) vs Colorado State (7-6)
One Marquee Match-up and a handful of entertaining football.